Naturally, our body requires a lot more love, care & support. Pain is never more pleasant especially when you struggling with prolonging pain & discomfort in or around the bottom of the spine (tailbone ) in the seated position. There is nothing more hurtful & more annoying than a sore or bruised tailbone while sitting. It can makes your everyday work troublesome at best & extremely uncomfortable and consequently debilitate quality of life. A most effective way to relieve your acute or chronic tailbone pain at home with the use of a pillow is specially designed to give gentle support & ample comfort to your tailbone, known as a coccyx pillow. You can say goodbye to your tailbone pain by using a good quality coccyx pillow. Using this pillow regularly are prescribed by your orthopedist should accelerate your improvement & give you maximum comfort from tailbone pain as rapidly as hopeful. If you want to sit pleasantly & end the distress of your sitting soreness, this coccyx pillow serves a great result. The best coccyx pillow can produce a mighty difference in your life.
Does Coccyx Pillow Work?
Yes. Coccyx cushion is the perfect choice for you – if you suffering from tailbone pain or wish to rule out it. It helps to eliminate your discomfort from tailbone pain associated with sitting on hard surfaces or narrow surfaces. This cushion is constructed for your tailbone & is often made of gel or heavy-duty memory foam & feature an ergonomic keyhole cut out at the back to reduce pressure off the tailbone or spine by redistributing your weight.
Benefits Of Using A Tailbone Pillow
- Pain Relief: obviously this is the number one clinical benefit of using a tailbone pillow. The notch of this pillow helps to elevate your tailbone from constant pressure in the seated position. Your weight is evenly distributed across your entire backside when you using superior grade memory foam pillow. This way you can sit for long periods without pulling or damaging your tailbone.
- Gentle support: a tailbone pillow is commonly made from high-quality memory foam that will provide you gentle support to the sensitive coccyx area. The wedge shape of this pillow pushes your pelvis slightly forward & puts your tailbone in a more comfy position to keep you pain – free all day long.
- Improvement of posture: when you sitting in the same position for prolonged hours, it’s easy to start slouching at some point in a lazy manner. To discouraging slouching, this pillow will help to slightly tilting your pelvis forward and keep your spine in an upright position. It is also useful to maintain correct & comfortable posture at all moments of your life.
- Optimal comfort: This pillow has a unique design U-shaped cut – out from a regular pillow which gives you outstanding comfort. This cut–out feature of this pillow is ideal to significantly reduce harmful forces around your tailbone.
- Highly portable: One of the attractive matter of this pillow is that they are lightweight & very compact. So you can easy to carry them along with you wherever comfortable seating for long periods is required.
- Improve circulation: when you feeling tired or feeling numbness in your feet due to prolonged seating, then use a tailbone pillow may be the finest option for you. The upper part of your legs are slightly elevated by using this pillow, so blood can easily circulate to your feet.
- Manage orthopedic condition: If you are suffering from osteoporosis, you could increasing the risk of a stress fracture from long sitting on hard surfaces. It can give extra pressure on your weak points so that your seating will be uncomfortable or even dangerous. A premium quality memory foam coccyx pillow is designed to evenly distribute your body weight & protect your osteoporotic area from further injury.
- Recover from childbirth: your tailbone & its surrounding muscles may need a little extra support after birthing due to the result of heavy exertion soreness. Doctors advised using a tailbone pillow to minimize pressure on your vaginal area. It will remain your pain – free to enjoy being a new parent.
- Reduce sciatica: We know sciatic never goes to. It is designed specifically to bits of help reduce your sciatica pain by distributing the weight off the coccyx to minimize the pressure on the sciatic nerve while prolong sitting.
10 Best Coccyx Pillow For Tailbone Pain
There are many coccyx pillow options for tailbone pain in the market today, so it may be difficult to find out the most appropriate coccyx pillow that’s comfortable for you. We hope this review will help you to find the best coccyx pillow which is most effective for your tailbone pain. We try to select all of the best coccyx pillows on the basis of comfort, durability, quality, price, and functions.
1. ZIRAKI Coccyx Seat Cushion
If are looking for the absolute best orthopedic coccyx pillow for sciatica & tailbone pain, then the ZIRAKI Coccyx seat cushion is a good choice for you. This seat cushion will keep you sitting pleasantly & relaxed for hours in your home chair, office chair, car seat, or wheelchair. It has a U – shaped ergonomic cut design that protects your tailbone gives much-needed support & guarantees comfort. This seat cushion is made of high quality 100 percent memory foam so that you can comfortably sit on it for extended times without feeling any discomfort. It has a user–friendly carrying handle to easily taken this cushion with you everywhere you want to sit. It is made of an incredibly inviting soft plush velvet which is easy cleaning in a machine. If you aren’t absolutely satisfied with the ZIRAKI seat cushion, you shall get your 100 % money back.
- Highly portable
- Super inexpensive
- Light weight
- Ergonomic design
- Machine washable
- 100 % memory foam
- Thicker than other pillows
- No anti – slip bottom
2. MODVEL Gel Seat Cushion
if you want to purchase a cooling gel seat cushion for your tailbone pain at a fair price, MODVEL Gel seat cushion is the product that you need to invest in. With this seat cushion, you can relieve tailbone pain & discomfort naturally and efficiently. It features an ergonomic butterfly – shaped design that will nicely mold to your bottom shape, providing unparalleled comfort & excellent support. Additionally, it features memory foam is heat & weight sensible that will allow you to comfortably sit in place as long as you need. It is also lightweight & has a carrying handle that helps to use this seat cushion anywhere you want to sit. One feature that you will impress this gel seat cushion is that it easily unzips the cover & easy washing in the machine & keep odor-free. It comes with a 2 years warranty making the spent money worth it.
- 2 years warranty
- Cooling effect
- Orthopedist recommended
- Natural pain relief
- Breathable & comfort
- Light weight & portable
- Flatten cushion
- Small cushion
3. Mkicesky Seat Cushion
If you are working in front of a screen with tailbone pain, then the Mkicesky seat cushion is the best choice for you. It is a renowned seat cushion that is a unique hollow ventilation design to provide air circulation & to keep comfortable all day long. This cushion is made with 100 % low rebound memory foam that will not flatten it & offer adequate comfort & optimal support over long periods. Its key features is a unique U – shaped cut–out design relieves pressure on coccyx while providing a comfortable place to sit for extended times. It comes with a non – slip rubber bottom that prevents the seat pillow from sliding down & keep the cushion in place on an office chair or in the car. The mesh fabric of this cushion is breathable & the removable cover is easy to open & clean easily. It is absolutely made for taller users & best for those weight up to 225 lbs.
- 100 % memory foam
- 3D fabric cover
- Mesh zipper cover
- Ideal for taller user
- Ergonomic design
4. Oveynersin Seat cushion
If you are looking for a coccyx seat cushion for the elderly, then Oveynersin’s seat cushion is the best option for you. This is a nice choice that is less expensive than the other pillows on our list but affords similar features. The seat pad is made from the latest know-how high-quality memory foam pillow core which can fit naturally & comfortably with your bottom shape & to provide you with more gentle support. It has a hollow perforation interior that helps to make it extra breathable as well as comfortable. Its key features is U – shaped ergonomic design to relieve your tailbone pain caused by prolonged sedentary & are good for home chairs, office chairs, car seats even wheelchairs. The rubber bottom is consists of non – slip gel that confirm extreme durability. The soft cloth cover of this pillow is easily removable & can be wash in a machine. If you are not satisfied with this seat cushion, you will get 100 % money back with no question requested.
- Affordable price
- Carrying handle
- Perforated hollow interior
- Anti – skidding bottom
- Very lightweight
- 100 % memory foam
- Moves a little during sitting
- Squishes easily
5. Stars United Store Seat Cushion
If you spend more than 8 hours a day in the workplace & can’t maintain regularity of your work due to tailbone pain, then 5 Stars united store seat cushion is the best inexpensive option for you. Its ergonomic U – shaped contoured design helps to rest your tailbone, avoiding compression & increasing blood flow. The inside of this coccyx pillow is made of 100 % pure grade memory foam which conforms to your body shape, can evenly distribute your weight & offer optimal support. The removable cover is made of a breathable black mesh to provide extra ventilation features & keep you be seated feeling cool. The non – slip rubber bottom firmly remains in place when put in a chair. This seat cushion is flexible & nicely fits with all types of office chairs. You can be used this coccyx pillow in the car, home / remote office, wheelchair, or anywhere else. With the suitable built-in – handle on the side, you can easily carry this coccyx pillow from one place to another. 100 % money-back guarantee, if you are disappointed with this pillow to work out.
- Well priced
- Ergonomic design
- Easy to wash
- Light weight
- Easy – to – carry handle
- Removable cover
- May no suit for heavier user
- Super firm
6. Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion
Kieba Coccyx seat cushion is the premium quality & most convenient coccyx pillow for tailbone pain on the market. This seat cushion comes with a combination of ultra-premium memory foam with cooling gel enhanced technology provides adequate support & gives you hours of ample comfort. With this U – shaped contoured seat cushion with a specialized orthopedic design, your goal of ultimate comfort will come true. One feature that you love about this pillow is that it will not be flattened out with long usage, unlike other pillows. This cushion has a non – slip bottom that ensures it stays on any surfaces & prevents sliding or shifting. This coccyx pillow comes with a breathable, removable velour cover that is machine washable for easy cleaning.
- Durable structure
- Extremely Comfortable
- Cooling gel technique
- Doesn’t flatten
- No slip cushion
- Dense memory foam
- Poor zipper
- No carrying handle
7. SOFTaCARE seat cushion
If you want to sit comfortably without having tailbone pain, then SOFTaCARE seat cushion will assist in giving you maximum comfort. This cushion has an anatomic shape that relieving the pressure on your tailbone & to ensure ultimate relaxation. It is made exclusively with 100 % premium memory foam which creates a soft comfort & lasts for a longer time. There is feature a built-in – handle that makes it easy to transport anywhere you want. The cover has a 3D breathable mesh to prevent you from unwanted sweating & keeps you cool. Ideally, this cushion features a washable velour removable cover that is cleaning easily. There are also 2 adjustable straps to keep this seat cushion securely in any chair you could need it. 100 % money return, if you are not getting benefit from this seat cushion.
- Durable adjustable strap
- Unique phone pocket
- Easy to change weight
- 3D ventilated
- Multiple uses
- Cheap looking covers
- Seat isn’t firm
8. Xtreme Comforts Memory Foam Seat Cushion
If you are looking for the best coccyx pillow for tailbone pain at a great price, then the Xtreme Comforts Memory Foam Seat Cushion is dedicated to you achieving this goal. This cushion has an ergonomic U – shaped cut out which is specifically designed with a doctor recommendation to relieve pressure on your tailbone. It is made of the ultra-deluxe body active memory foam that provides superior performance & never goes flat when sitting on it for prolonged hours. It comes with a non – skid bottom allowing the cushion to be used on slippery seating surfaces with ease. A convenient carrying handle is attached to this seat cushion so that you can easily grip it during traveling. The durable black mesh cover is highly breathable to prevent unwanted sweating & keeps you cool. If you don’t like it, you can return it within 2 years with no question required.
- Discreet design
- 100 % money back guarantee
- Doesn’t compresses
- Dense memory foam
- Well made
- Comfortable & durable
- Too firm to sit on
- Not ideal for taller user
9. ComfiLife Premium Comfort Seat Cushion
If you are looking for a coccyx pillow that is exclusively for tailbone pain & provides adequate support, then ComfiLife premium comfort seat cushion is a very solid option for you. This cushion has an ergonomically designed U – shaped cut–out that is specially created to minimize pressure on your tailbone while maintaining a healthy & straight posture. It is made of 100 % high-quality premium memory foam that responds to heat & comes to offer you much needed support with maximum comfort. The cushion has featured a non – slip rubber base that ensures minimal movement & keeps the pillow from sliding or shifting out of place. The cover is built in a convenient carrying handle for easy transportation which makes it wonderful. It also comes with a protective zippered velour cover that is completely washing – machine friendly. If you aren’t 100 % satisfied with this cushion, you shall get your money back without any question.
- Effective grip
- Good level of support
- Zippered velour cover
- Carrying handle
- 100 % memory foam
- Non – slip base
- Too firm
- Shorter life span
10. Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion
Everlasting comfort seat cushion is an excellent & medically certified topmost pillow option for tailbone pain when it comes to quality, comfort, longevity & ease of use. It has a perfect U – shaped ergonomic design which is recommended by the orthopedist as well as medical experts that will help to alleviate pressure on your inflamed or bruised tailbone. It has been made of 100 % pure reminiscences foam with no additives help to assuage strain in specific areas & makes you stay pain-free during working or driving a car. This cushion has a unique heat-responsive technology that allows responding to your body heat & mold effectively to your bottom’s shape. One feature that you can be impressed with this pillow is its non – slip rubber base that will prevent you from sliding. This coccyx pillow cushion cover comes in multiple colors. It has also featured a removable slipcase that can be machine washed for easy cleaning & ensuring cushion inside durability. For better value, it has a lifetime guarantee for a replacement so you can get a new one if it doesn’t work out for you.
- Super breathable
- Strong cooling effect
- Versatile use
- Lifetime warranty
- Stays in shape
- Instant pain relief
- Good level of grip
- Too high
- Not ideal for taller people
Key Features To Look Before Buying Coccyx Pillow For Tailbone Pain
Shape: Pillow shape is one of the key features to consider before purchasing. These pillows can be found in a variety of shapes. The most common shapes of this pillow come in the ‘V‘ shaped & ‘ U ‘ shaped.
‘U’ shaped pillows are usually orthopedist recommends & ergonomically designed for tailbone comfort & pain reduction.
“O“ shaped pillows are circular & designed to reduce weight from pressure points. They are usually recommended for your tailbone, hemorrhoids & postnatal pain reduction.
Materials: The good-quality materials must be considered when you choose a coccyx pillow for purchasing. This pillow comes in various different materials typically including different kinds of foam & gel ranging from simple cotton filled balls up to deluxe memory foam. Premium grade memory foam is widely used for providing better comfort & ample support.
Styles: There are various styles of coccyx pillow available in the market. Each style gives you a distinct type of support based on your weight, body shape & pressure points. Donut shaped coccyx pillow has a cut – out in the middle that relieves pressure from your tailbone. Wedge-shaped coccyx pillow are adaptable & inflatable ones are preferable for you if you are always on – the – go.
Thickness: Some coccyx pillows are more pleasant than others which is mainly due to the thickness of pillows. Choose the pillow thickness that is adjusted to your tailbone shape. You don’t choose the wider or thickest cushioning pillow. Too little cushioning may lead to more pain while too much cushioning can make it hard to sit.
Durability: It is another essential consideration that’s the durability of the pillow’s materials. If you have to replace your pillow every month, you are misusing a lot of money. It must be sufficiently durable to perform for many years with a refund it.
The cover: Along with the inside materials of the pillow, you also consider outside materials of the pillow. The tailbone pillow’s cover needs to be relaxed to sit on. If you want to use your pillow for a prolonged time, you need a decent cover that is breathable & hygienic. Pillow’s cover leans to get dirty due to using for longer durations, so you must need a removable & washable cover for easy cleaning.
Comfort: The comfort of the pillow is an essential factor to consider when purchasing. It will depend on the combination of cushion shape, the cover materials & the interior materials.
Portability: The tailbone pillow is naturally portable. You can bring it easily with you on- the – go for use during traveling at your work station or resting at home.
What Causes Tailbone Pain Without Injury?
There are many causes are responsible for tailbone pain without injury. Such as –
- Prolong sitting on hard or narrow surfaces.
- Pregnancy / childbirth.
- Lumbar spine pathologies.
- Pelvic floor dysfunction.
- Poor posture.
- Hypermobility or hypo mobility of the pelvis.
- Malformation of the coccyx.
- Cancer (rare cases).
How To Deal With Tailbone Pain?
There are a number of strategies that can help you to control & relieve your tailbone pain.
- Avoid long sitting on hard surfaces for a longer period, by taking frequent short breaks every 20 minutes during work.
- Never leave your feet from the ground while sitting.
- Using a specialized coccyx pillow.
- Ice or cold pack: You can apply the coldest ice pack to the painful tailbone area & gluteal muscles for no longer than 15 minutes several times a day for up to the first 3 days after the injury to help reduce swelling as well as relieve pain.
- Heat or heating pad: you can applying heat or heating pad to the spinal bottom after the first few days of pain to get relieve any soreness.
- Hot & cold compress – at first you can apply warm packs or hot compression for 15 minutes at painful tailbone area then take rest & again applying ice or cold packs for 15 minutes to reduce inflammation.
- Physical therapy: If your tailbone pain caused due to pelvic floor muscle spasm, then physical therapy works a vital role in reducing pain by pelvic floor relaxation technique. A physical therapist can develop a pelvic floor strengthing exercise regimen to decrease muscle tightness around your coccyx. They can also done manual manipulation around the tailbone & pelvis to help relieve pain due to scarring or stiffness.
- Exercises & stretches: strengthening of the muscles or stretching exercises of the attached ligaments of the coccyx is another useful way of treating tailbone pain.
- Medication: your doctor may advise taking over-the-counter non-steroidal medications such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen to reduce pain & inflammation around the coccyx.
- Local injection: it’s a minimally invasive procedure for tailbone pain. Your physician injects a local injection of corticosteroid & numbing agent mixture into the painful joint which is most often used treatment for non – resolving tailbone pain. The physician utilizes ultrasound imaging supervision to confirm that the injection is delivered in the right area.
- Surgical treatment: it’s a very rare case that is used to reduce tailbone pain. Surgically remove the coccyx (partial or total) is usually only recommended when conservative treatments & local injection have failed. Your surgeon takes about 30 – 40 minutes to conduct this procedure & can be completed on an outpatient-based.
- TENS unit: you can applying electrical stimulation by transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulators that can obstruct pain signal transmission from the coccyx to the brain.
- Try to wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Add extra fiber to your diet & drinking plenty of water can help to make bowel movement more comfortable.
- Avoiding activities that worsen your symptoms.
FAQ – Frequently Ask Questions
Is a coccyx cushion good for sciatica?
Answer: Absolutely. A memory foam coccyx cushion is good for sciatica by redistributing your weight off the tailbone to ease pressure on the sciatica nerve while sitting.
What is the best cushion for coccyx pain (coccyx cushion or a donut pillow)?
Answer: It’s a confusing question to reply to. It actually depends on your personal needs & situation. Mainly a coccyx cushion is a specialized design with a cut–out shape to help relieve tailbone pain & a donut pillow is designed unequally. We prefer a coccyx cushion is the best option for coccyx pain than a donut pillow due to its support, comfort, longevity & easy use.
Can tailbone pain last for year?
Answer: Yes but it is happening in very rare cases. In most cases, tailbone pain can improve over a few weeks or months. It will go away on its own between 8 -12 weeks.
How do you make a homemade coccyx cushion?
Answer: If you can’t get a suitable coccyx cushion in stores, then you can try making a comfortable coccyx cushion at home. These homemade coccyx cushions are unusual to suggest by medical practitioners, so do this at your risky. You need a piece of 5 to 10 cm memory foam or a memory foam pillow & give up a small segment on one side to make your own coccyx cushion.
We hope this review will help you to choose the best coccyx pillow that gives you excellent levels of support. Look through this review, now you can sit comfortably for long periods of time & designed to some immediate pain relief. Now you can pick the best coccyx pillow for your bottom. All the best!