In these modern times, almost all work ethics are embracing the upholding of employee safety measures. This is as a result of the numerous accidents and injuries that occur to employees while at work. Actually, the bureau of labor statistics stipulates that more than 60% of all injuries are musculoskeletally related, with over 10% accounting for foot and ankle injuries. It is because of this that safety boots are being recommended by most employers at work. Steel toe boots are among the safest boots in the market. They have a protective reinforcement at the front to protect your toes from falling objects or compressions. They also have a sole plate installed to protect you against punctures coming from below. Therefore, if you are thinking of buying these boots, then you are definitely making an investment in your own safety and comfort.
Without further ado, let’s understand the difference between composite and steel toe boots.
Composite Toe vs Steel Toe Boots
Even though this two boots have a lot in common, they both have a lot of differences as well. However, if you want to understand these shoes in depth, this article digs deeper into that, so as to help you choose the best shoe for your daily engagement.
- As we had said earlier, both of these boots have reinforcement at the front. However, the materials used for the reinforcement differ in both. Steel toe boots come with a steel toe cap which is designed to give you ultimate protection. This is even when excessive weights are discharged on your shoe. Therefore, your feet will be fully protected from being crushed. Also, steel boots come with a steel plate in the main sole making them puncture and slip-resistant. On the other hand, composite toe boots come with toe caps that are made from composite materials like plastic, kevlar, or carbon fiber.
- Even though the composite toe boots have caps, their protection level cannot be compared to that of steel toe boots. This is so as the steel in steel boots is more firm and a bit harder and tougher compared to the toe caps Inscribed on composited toe boots. Therefore, if you work on a heavy construction site, it is more advisable to go for steel toe boots.
- Nevertheless, you should note that composite toe boots have a better electrical resistance compared to their steel counterparts. Albeit for people dealing with electricity, ensure you buy boots that are EH rated for better protection against electricity.
- The weather of your working environment also plays a very key role in influencing the type of safety boot to settle for. Steel boots come with a steel plate or in other words; they have a metal plate which is a good thermal conductor. Meaning, the metal plate in your boot can conduct heat from your warm boot and dispense it to the environment, hence leaving your toes completely cold. Unlike steel toe boots, composite toe boots are reinforced with good thermal insulators like plastic, which means that the toe cap doesn’t withdraw any heat from your boot irrespective of the present environmental conditions. Hence it is preferable to go for composite toe boots if you work in cold areas or maybe through winter.
- It is very definite that when comfort is in question, then the lighter shoe is the more comfortable one. Normally, steel toe boots tend to be heavier compared to their composite counterparts. If you want a boot that offers more protection and is still lightweight, you can go for steel boots that use advanced materials in their making.
- Another feature that cannot be overlooked when comparing these two boots is their safety. Facts have it that steel toe boots are more dangerous compared to composite toe boots. This is brought about when something heavy falls on the boots; the steel can curl in and cut off your toes. Such a case was once recorded in Australia.
Purpose Of Steel Toe Boots
1. They protect workers from injuries
How? These boots are certified to stand over 100 pounds pressure of falling objects thus protecting your feet from harm. Apart from falling objects, they also protect you from punctures, falls, and ankle sprains. This will save you from medical expenses.
2. Eliminates discomfort at work
Steel toe boots are designed to provide steady support, gentleness, and comfort especially to workers that stand for long hours at work. They are well padded to ensure your feet and toes are comfortable throughout the day.
3. They add a classy fashionable look on your outfit
There are several brands of steel toe boots in the market today. Most of these brands ensure that besides providing comfort and safety to workers, they also make them look fashionable. In short, these shoes are appealing to the eyes. Great thing is that they are available in multiple colors for you to choose the most appealing.
4. They boost work performance
The comfort of workers is directly proportional to their work performance. These shoes make you feel comfortable, safe, and protected from any unexpected injury. That sense of safety encourages and motivates you to work harder.
5. Prevents work fatigue
This applies to workers that stand all day on concrete surfaces. In such a situation, your feet muscles get overwhelmed and grow tired. With these shoes, fatigue is past tense. This is because they have comfortable cushioning and arch support that protects your feet from fatigue.
As seen, steel toe boots are so crucial to workers that work in an industrial setup. However, ensure comfort, waterproof ability, durability, buying, and maintenance cost when buying them. It’s also important to check its insole, level of cushioning, and outsole materials. Ensure the materials are well ventilated to avoid sweating and prevent foot odor. Also, check out whether it has the right fitting to avoid frustrations. These are important factors that will ensure the optimal effectiveness of your steel toe boots.